Maribyrnong Preschool Philosophy in Action:
Maribyrnong Primary School has been assessed or rated under the National Quality Framework. We achieved the highest rating possible - 'exceeding the national standard' in each of the seven quality areas. Further information regarding can be obtained from the National Register.
Following are the values, policies and procedures which are the foundation of our preschool philosophy.
Maribyrnong Primary School has four preschool groups. Our educators work collaboratively to plan experiences for the children using the Early Years Learning Framework to guide the intentional and incidental learning for the children in each group. The preschool children are part of the wider Maribyrnong Primary community and are involved in a number of opportunities to visit our main site and participate in shared learning experiences with their older peers. The preschool children visit the school library once a week, engage in a buddy program in semester two and join in whole school events such as the Walkathon, SRC fundraising days and the school concert.
As part of our yearlong transition program our preschool children engage in two programs. The first is a science program with our specialist preschool science teacher Taryn Cameron-Smith. A weekly lesson allows our preschool children to pose questions, wonder and discover how science is connected to our lives. The second program is a literacy program where the focus is on building a strong foundation for the formal teaching that occurs after preschool. The focus is on phonological awareness with some explicit instruction in phonemic awareness where developmentally appropriate. These sessions are taught by Jantiena Batt, the deputy principal. These programs allow our preschool children to become familiar with some of the faces they will see when they are in kindergarten the following year.
- research that affirms the value of play in learning and curriculum delivery
- high expectations through personalised support for each child
- respectful, reciprocal relationships through open communication
- cultural diversity as a celebration of individual differences
- continuous improvement through regular reflection on practice
- comprehensive documentation that makes learning visible and communicates outcomes and progress
- productive partnerships with families as the major influence in children's lives
- aesthetically-pleasing, natural and sustainable environments conducive to play
- seamless and effective transitions that promote positive, successful school experiences
- confidentiality as a means of respecting everyone's right to privacy
In Child Friendly language:
- We value play – it is how we learn best.
- Our teachers believe in each of us as capable learners.
- We honour each other.
- We celebrate each other for who we are.
- We reflect on our learning.
- We can show you our learning.
- Our team is made up of our families, our friends, our teachers, ourselves.
- Our learning spaces look and feel play-friendly.
- We know what our education journey looks like.
- We respect each other.
Monday and Tuesday 8.45 am to 2.45 pm and Wednesday 8.45 am to 11.45 am
Wednesday 12.00 pm to 3.00 pm and Thursday and Friday 8.45 am to 2.45 pm
Policy and Procedure Overview:
All policies are procedures are available at the preschool for parents and carers as required.