At Maribyrnong Primary School a specialist science teacher works from preschool to year 6, delivering an outstanding science program which develops students natural curiosity and willingness to explore, ask questions about and speculate on the changing world in which they live. Students are encouraged to develop critical thinking skills, identify questions and draw evidence based conclusions using scientific methods. The newly established Science Centre is a well resourced teaching area where students are immersed in science.
Science at Maribyrnong is guided by the Australian Science Curriculum with its emphasis on inquiry based teaching and learning. The students scientific literacy is developed using a variety of resources including Primary Connections.
In addition to regular science lessons thereare two science clubs in the senior school aimed at inspiring and extending students keen on science. Members take part in a large variety of competitions and challenges designed to take their science skills to the next level.
Here are some links to some cool sites for all of the keen scientists in our school community. Have fun!
- Edheads Check out this site for awesome ideas and some amazing videos, demonstrations, conundrums, tricks and quirky facts.
- The Surfing Scientist Great online games and activities.
- Futuresparks Inspirational information on future technology. Details of community environmental projects across Australia.
- Science for Kids! Fun science and technology for kids.
- Chemical Engineering Fun for Kids Check out this great reference guide for chemical engineering (supplied by Hudson!).